I recently ran into this problem on a laptop. As I recall, when JAWS
announced that the advanced controls were unavailable, I either hit
space or enter (should have been enter, even though the 'unavailable"
message said it wouldn't work.  then, when I re-entered the
properties menu, the unavailable message was gone and I was able to
check the advanced controls so that they would sho up.  I hope it
works for you.

Dean