Hi Matthew.

I heard a lot of recommendations for M-Audio cards and bought one a year ago
or so.  It wasn't a good experience and it was sent back within 2 weeks.

The card was a USB soundcard, a 1296 if I remember correctly, and,
basically, it kept dropping out.  This could happen after 5 minutes or an
hour and would result in a restart of my laptop to get the card recognised
again.

I tried a number of solutions to get it working including upgrading to the
latest drivers, making sure my laptop didn't power down it's USB sockets,
etc, and worked with the tech support guys who supplied the cardbut all to
no avail.  The tech support guys verdict was that the cards weren't great
with laptops.  I don't think the card was very recent, I think that model
had been available for over a year.

I'd had no problems with the creative USB card I was using previously and
have had no issues with the latest creative card I have now.  I should point
out though that I only use the soundcard for listening so don't have to
worry about recording or inaccessible software that can be used to tweak the
sound and generally make it sound worse in my opinion.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]