Here you go.  This is the message I was referring to.
----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas N. Chan
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 10:33 AM
Subject: RE: Storage expert warns of short life span for burned CDs -
Computerworld

The material are basically solid inside the Disc, nothing inside which its
soft or chemical which can be move by turning it around or spin it.
Imagine this, if you think that the chemical is moveable  by putting on
certain position as what you quoted, then everytime you put it on the CD
player or DVD player, all the chemical should have spun to the external ring
of the Disc and random it, unplayerable..
The CD or the lens need to track them as well so it's a problem.

Here's how CD works I found
 A CD is a fairly simple piece of plastic, about  four one-hundredths
(4/100) of
an inch (1.2 mm) thick. Most of a CD consists of an
injection-molded piece of clear polycarbonate plastic
. During manufacturing, this plastic is impressed with microscopic bumps
arranged
as a single, continuous, extremely long spiral track of data. We'll return
to the
bumps in a moment. Once the clear piece of polycarbonate is formed, a thin,
reflective
aluminum layer is sputtered onto the disc, covering the bumps. Then a thin
acrylic
layer is sprayed over the aluminum to protect it. The label is then printed
onto
the acrylic.

 A CD has a single spiral track of data, circling from the inside of the
disc to
the outside. The fact that the spiral track starts at the center means that
the CD
can be smaller than 4.8 inches (12 cm) if desired, and in fact there are now
plastic
baseball cards and business cards that you can put in a CD player. CD
business cards
hold about 2 MB of data before the size and shape of the card cuts off the
spiral.
 What the picture on the right does not even begin to impress upon you is
how incredibly
small the data track is -- it is approximately 0.5 microns wide, with 1.6
microns
separating one track from the next. (A micron is a millionth of a meter.)
And the

  The elongated bumps that make up the track are each 0.5 microns wide, a
minimum
of 0.83 microns long and 125 nanometers high. (A nanometer is a billionth of
a meter.)
Looking through the polycarbonate layer at the bumps, they look something
like this:
 You will often read about "pits" on a CD instead of bumps. They appear as
pits on
the aluminum side, but on the side the laser reads from, they are bumps.
 The incredibly small dimensions of the bumps make the spiral track on a CD
extremely
long. If you could lift the data track off a CD and stretch it out into a
straight
line, it would be 0.5 microns wide and almost 3.5 miles (5 km) long!
 To read something this small you need an incredibly precise disc-reading
mechanism.

CD Player Components
  The CD player has the job of finding and reading the data stored as bumps
on the
CD. Considering how small the bumps are, the CD player is an exceptionally
precise
piece of equipment. The drive consists of three fundamental components:
A drive motor
 spins the disc. This drive motor is precisely controlled to rotate between
200 and
500 rpm depending on which track is being read.
laser
 and a lens system focus in on and read the bumps.
A tracking mechanism
 moves the laser assembly so that the laser's beam can follow the spiral
track. The
tracking system has to be able to move the laser at micron resolutions.
  Inside the CD player, there is a good bit of computer technology involved
in forming
the data into understandable data blocks and sending them either to the DAC
(in the
case of an audio CD) or to the computer (in the case of a
CD-ROM drive
).
 The fundamental job of the CD player is to focus the laser on the track of
bumps.
The laser beam passes through the polycarbonate layer, reflects off the
aluminum
layer and hits an opto-electronic device that detects changes in
light
. The bumps reflect light differently than the "lands" (the rest of the
aluminum
layer), and the opto-electronic sensor detects that change in reflectivity.
The electronics
in the drive interpret the changes in reflectivity in order to read the
bits
 that make up the
Bytes

What the CD Player Does: Tracking
  The hardest part is keeping the laser beam centered on the data track.
This centering
is the job of the
tracking system
. The tracking system, as it plays the CD, has to continually move the laser
outward.
As the laser moves outward from the center of the disc, the bumps move past
the laser
faster -- this happens because the linear, or tangential, speed of the bumps
is equal
to the radius times the speed at which the disc is revolving (rpm).
Therefore, as
the laser moves outward, the
spindle motor
 must slow the speed of the CD. That way, the bumps travel past the laser at
a constant
speed, and the data comes off the disc at a constant rate.

You can read the rest at
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd7.htm

regards
Thomas N. Chan