Well actually, I was debating whether or not to post the original
message here in the first place because it was a little off-topic but
I decided to post the message because one of the software packages
affected was Audio Hijack Pro so hereafter I'll talk about Audio
Hijack Pro rather than specifically discussing Leopard, if anyone
would like to discuss Leopard further then I'll put some links to
other mailing lists near the end of the message.
So what is Audio Hijack Pro? Well put simply, its an all purpose
recording application, that is you can "Hijack" a source or multiple
sources, mix them together, record them, process them (by adding other
affects, removing noise etc), use an external sound editing programme
to edit your recordings launching that Editor from Audio Hijack Pro,
schedule recording times and last but not least, burn the finished
product to CD or DVD so if you like, Audio Hijack Pro can be best
described as Total Recorder taking performance enhancing drugs.
One of the main things I use this application for is to record Skype
phone calls if I have to, this can be don very easily, just select
"skype" from the table presenting all the Audio Hijack sessions you've
set up, press the Hijack button and then the Record button.
Audio Hijack Pro can Hijack specific applications or other hardware
sources, for example you may wish to Hijack Itunes which could be
playing a preset playlist of musical tracks whilst you hijack a
hardware mixer and then perhaps Hijack Skype into the mix, you can
then record your hijacked combination and so forth.
Now in the original message I sent regarding Leopard, I mentioned the
problems I was having with Audio Hijack Pro under Leopard, since I
sent that message the developers have returned my email, they've told
me that an update for Leopard is being worked on right now and should
be available for public distribution in a few days so I hope that this
update will sort things out.
Is Audio Hijack Pro available for the PC? Unfortunately not but it
would be nice if it were.
Is Audio Hijack Accessible under VoiceOver? certainly its very
accessible and there are some very well-known people using Audio
Hijack Pro to record regular podcasts and so on, you'll see some very
familiar names at http://www.blindcooltech.com who use this software
for their productions. I'm totally blind and I have no problems with
accessing the software, VoiceOver has facilities to help those who
have a little sight to navigate the Mac and associated applications.
Ok, for those who wish to find out more about Leopard and VoiceOver's
many features perhaps you could subscribe to the mac-access list, send
a blank email message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Finally regarding the Mac's market share? Well yep, its about 8%
actually and I don't think Leopard will ever be a dominant force in
the marketplace but if you are considering another computer then the
Mac and Leopard offer you a whole heap of advantages over present-day
PC technology, Audio is just one area in which the Mac excells plus
you can run your Windows systems concurrently if you want to.