Hi,

For getting DVDs, I'd suggest DVD Decrypter. It can be found on the web,
make sure you get the older version and don't check for updates. If you
just want the audio from them, DVD Audio Extractor is wonderful and I've
never had problems with it.

As for music conversion, I personally use Gold Wave, because it can use
the Lancer OGG encoders. If you're converting from MP3, CDex is a nice
program. Much faster, but encoding to AAC and such formats is somewhat
trying.

HTH

Brandon