From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of David Truong
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:47 PM
To: 'PC Audio Discussion List'
Subject: RE: Using 2 sound cards

HI Mate,

Taken from the Freedom Scientific support section:

Question:

I have two sound cards on my computer. How do I make sure JAWS uses the one
I want?

Answer:

Many JAWS users who also use music or audio production software want JAWS
and Eloquence to speak through one sound card, while using the other for
their production work. To do this, you need to edit a file called JFW.ini
and install the updated Eloquence Speech driver in the accompanying zip
file.

Editing the jfw.ini file:

list of 5 items
1. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, browse your hard drive to the
currently running version of JAWS and find the jfw.ini file in that folder.
2. Press ENTER to open.
3. You should find some lines that read:

list of 3 items nesting level 1
. Synth1Name=eloq
. Synth1LongName=Eloquence for JAWS
. Synth1Driver=eloq

The number doesn't matter, it may be 1, 2, or 3, but it must be the same for
all entries for Eloquence.

list end nesting level 1
4. Add the following line after the driver line: Synth1Port=SB Live! Wave
Device. Of course, you need to make sure that the synth number matches the
other lines, so that if the Driver line read "Synth3Driver=eloq" then the
port line would read "Synth3Port=SB Live! Wave Device"

The text after the = sign in the Port line comes from Control Panel/Sound &
Multimedia/Audio tab. It must be one of the entries that can be chosen for
Preferred Playback device.

5. Save your changes and exit Notepad. With JAWS version 5.x and higher, you
are done.
list end

If you have JAWS version 4.x, you will also need to install the updated
driver. As long as JAWS is running and speaking through Eloquence, eloq.jls
cannot be simply overwritten when unzipping the file. You will need to
switch to NoSpeech or MS SAPI to get the eloq.jls to overwrite properly.

list of 4 items
1. Download the file from
ftp://ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/eloq.zip
2. Unzip the zip file into the root of the active JAWS directory where you
made the change to the jfw.ini file.
3. Restart JAWS and it should now be speaking from the sound card you
wanted.
4. If not, make sure the entries are correct in the jfw.ini file and that
your sound card is indeed installed correctly. Most audio and music
production software allows you to select a sound device for it as well, so
it can use one sound card while JAWS uses another.
list end