From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:39 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: Portable MP3 Player Question

Are you looking for a hardware MP3 player like an iPod or are you
looking for an MP3 player for your PC like Winamp or Windows Media
Player? I'm assuming the former.

Are you looking for anything in particular, such as an off the shelf MP3
player or something designed specifically for the blind? How much
capacity are you looking for?

I personally recommend the 1GB Zen Stone from Creative. It doesn't have
a display, so it's totally accessible. You can also use Windows Explorer
to copy songs to it, so there's no issue with accessible software for
your PC. You can play books on it from Audible.com, Overdrive.com and I
assume other book providers. It costs around $35.

On the downside, it only has 1GB of storage, although I heard you can
get the same model in a 2GB version now. It also only supports MP3 and
WMA (although not lossless WMA).

I personally recommend the 1GB version, although if you can get the 2GB
model, that would work too. Creative has a few MP3 players called the
Zen Stone, like the Zen Stone Plus. These other players include an FM
radio, a voice recorder and they come with a display. I've heard some
blind people report on these lists that they've have trouble with
respect to accessibility with these models and others say they haven't
had any problems with them.

Dan Kerstetter wrote:
> I'm looking for a reasonably priced MP3 player so I can transfer music
from
> my computer to the player.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.
>

> Thanks.