I just bought an audiobook in Windows Protected Media format which I
intend to convert to MP3 so I can put it on a portable player that
does not handle WMA protected media.  The thing I usually do when I
have Windows Protected Media files is to turn each file into a .WAV
file by burning it to a CD, then ripping it to the desired MP3.  The
problem I have with this, of course, is that I have to waste as many
CD's as there are files in the set for the book!  OK, I could probably
get away with not doing this by using rewritable discs, but at this
time I have none of those, and many hundred non-rewritables.  But even
though I have more non-rewritables than I'll need, I want to be green
about it and not have to throw away four perfectly good discs just
because I don't need them any more.  Is there a way to convert
directly from protected WMA to either WAV or MP3 without actually
having to physically create the intermediate CD?