Ok, a couple of things here just to make the discussion a little
clearer, do you want to actually control the amp or the receiver from
the computer? If that's what you want to do then I'm lead to believe
that some of the more expensive Amps and receivers allow connection
via a LAN or Wi-FI system for that purpose, that way you can control
them and stream to them from various computers or compatible devices
in your house, yes a lot of the more expensive surround-sound and
stereo amps have "zones", you set up a zone for each room in your
house and set up each room with the appropriate speaker package.

Now if you just want to take sound to and from your amp via the
computer then this is simple enough to do, the easiest way to do this
is to connect your computers sound card to the amps or receivers tape
in and out, for example the line out of your sound card goes to the
tape in jacks and the line in to tape out, this way you can play your
media files through your amp and record the tuner, turntable or
whatever from your amp to the computer via the sound device, most if
not all self-respecting amps and receivers have at least 1 tape in/out
facility.

On 03/09/2008, at 12:06 PM, Sunshine wrote:

> what i want to do is be able to hook the computer up to it and use the
> speakers from the unit for the computer as well as using the other
> features
> can this be done with any of the units discussed here

 From Melton Victoria Australia