Right, well you'll need a lead say (by the sounds of things) a 3.5MM
stereo minijack to RCA lead, most VCR'S have a RCA audio output (at
least 1), the next thing you need to know is the recorder stereo or
Mono? If stereo you need a 3.5MM stereo jack to 2 RCA female plugs, if
mono then just 1 RCA female plug.

This lead then goes from the audio input of the sound device of your
laptop to the audio output of the VCR.  Your laptop may have 1 or 2
(or none) audio inputs, if none then you'll need another sound device
but perhaps for the sake of clarity, that can wait (if need be) for
another post so let's assume your laptop has at least 1 input.  you
may need to adjust the gain of this input if its a Mic input, you'll
need to turn the gain right down, if its a Line input then everything
should be fine, run a few tests and see what happens, hope this helps.

On 04/09/2008, at 5:46 AM, Dancing Queen wrote:

> OK, total recorder's a piece of software, correct?
>
> How does one connect something directly in to the sound card?
>
> My friend uses a laptop does this make any difference?
>
> Thanks
>
> Trace

 From Melton Victoria Australia