To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:53 AM
Subject: Re: 3gp

I can't answer most of your questions, but here are my thoughts.

First, I consider phrases like "world wide standard" to be more of a marketing statement than anything else. Next, MP3 has been superseded by several superior specifications in the past, and it's still around, so I don't expect it to go away any time soon. The 3G in 3GP seems like it would stand for "3rd Generation" as in the 3G high speed mobile network. I'm guessing 3GP stands for "3rd Generation Partnership Project". Quicktime runs on Windows and the conversion utilities I mentioned run on Windows, so I don't think it's a Mac only specification. Furthermore, it was intended for mobile devices. Finally, I can't speak to the sound quality, but since it's intended for mobile devices and to be transmitted over 3G networks, I'm guessing there's some trade off between size and sound quality.

jason wrote:
So since this is the new standard conversions, is the mp3 file still going to be used widely for a file extension, or is it going to go away. what does the 3gp stand for? Also is this 3gp just used for apple players or mac computers? and how rich does it sound. Does it sound better than an mp3 or does the sound quality sound the same?

Sincerely,
Jason known as Blind Fury
windowslive contact kb3...@msn.com
skype contact kb3icc