Hello,

I recently purchased a pretty basic computer to do some Win7 testing on at
home until the final OS is released.  The machine came with audio listed as
VIA VT1708B 8-channel high-definition audio.  I'm wondering if anyone has
experience with this at all.

The sound for music is fine but what I'm finding is that with any synthetic
speech unless I have audio playing, the speech is cut off at the beginning
of each audio phrase being spoken.  It is almost as though the audio needs
to kick in.

This is prior to installing Win7, so just with Vista.  It happens with
several screen readers.  I've used a variety of sound cards and audio and
not experienced this before.

If there's not a good solution to this, any suggestions on a basic sound
card to use just for the synthetic speech for the screen readers?

For what it is worth, the computer specs can be seen at
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11331092&whse=BC&Ne=4000000
&eCat=BC|84|56671&N=4035033&Mo=36&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78518&Ns=P_Pr
ice|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=.

Kelly

Jonathan Mosen List Founder