Peter,

If I correctly understand your set-up, I would suggest that you do edit the jfw.ini file, just as you describe, to force JAWS to use your SigmaTel card. As I said before, I don't think the IMic will make itself the default audio output device, thus forcing JAWS to use it. But, in case my memory is faulty, editing jfw.ini to force JAWS to use the SigmaTel will obviate this potential problem. And, should this edit prove an unnecessary belt in addition to your suspenders, no harm done, no points will be deducted from your final grade. <grin>

The rest of your proposed configuration sounds fine. I just have these few comments:

Personally, I have never found that it makes any difference whether or not I check the Default Devices Only check box in Control Panel. If you wish to check it, go ahead. But, personally, I would ignore it.

Second, why not unplug the port replicator before you begin the whole process; an why shut down and restart your laptop? Once you've edited the jfw.ini file, you only need to exit and restart JAWS, to get speech through your SigmaTel; shutting down and restarting the whole system isn't necessary.

There is one setting in Goldwave you didn't mention. Make sure you have it set to *monitor* the recording; otherwise, I think, you won't hear what you are recording, through either your sigmaTel or your headphones (whichever you have set as Goldwave's output). I forget where this setting is in Goldwave, but it should be easy enough to find.

Good luck.

Blessed Be, Namaste,

Dana
that's Dana, D A N A, NOT Donna, D O N N A
If your synthesizer pronounces them identically, instruct your customized pronunciation dictionary that Dana=dayna.

D. S. Leslie, née C. R. Guttman
Email: dsles...@alumni.princeton.edu
Skype: dsleslie
Web: ÞE OL' PHILOSOPHIE SHOPPE