it has to do with the quality of sound card and the quality of cartridge in the turntable. Stanton would be a good quality cartridge, and some type of delta sound card with balanced ins and outs would be a good quality setup.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <cchalt...@austin.rr.com>
To: "PC audio discussion list." <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:09 PM
Subject: High fidelty and turntables today

I'm not exactly sure how to ask this, but I'm hoping to get some pointers to more information and some advice. My son is asking for a turntable for his birthday. I assumed it was to access music he can only find on vinyl, but he says it's for higher sound quality than he can get off of CD's or MP3's.

I still have the component based stereo system I built when I was younger, which currently includes a receiver, DVD player and DVR. I retired my turntable and VCR a while ago. I would not be surprised if such a system, with high quality components, could produce better sound than you'd get off of a PC or portable media player.

I guess I'm wondering a couple of things. Is this true that you can get better sound quality out of a high fidelity system than you can from a PC or portable media player? If so, how would you go about building such a system today? Would you do what I did years ago and start assembling your components? Could I get him a nice turntable that he could hook up to his PC for now and then include in a component based stereo system down the road?

Thanks for any advice or pointers people could provide me. I haven't started looking around on the web, but I'm assuming I'd be overwhelmed with the amount of information out there on such a topic.

--
Christopher

cchalt...@austin.rr.com