On the contrary; the distinction is clear and sharp!
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/university
-noun, plural -ties.
an institution of learning of the highest level, having a college of liberal arts and a program of graduate studies together with several professional schools, as of theology, law, medicine, and engineering, and authorized to confer both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Continental European universities usually
have only graduate or professional schools.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/college
1.
an institution of higher learning, esp. one providing a general or liberal arts education rather than technical or professional training. Compare
university.
2.
a constituent unit of a university, furnishing courses of instruction in the liberal arts and sciences, usually leading to a bachelor's degree.
3.
an institution for vocational, technical, or professional instruction, as in medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, or music, often a part of a university.
4.
an endowed, self-governing association of scholars incorporated within a university, as at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge in England.
5.
a similar corporation outside a university.

6.
the building or buildings occupied by an institution of higher education.
7.
the administrators, faculty, and students of a college.
8.
(in Britain and Canada) a private secondary school.

Deae Sub Numine Viget,

Dana

D. S. Leslie, née C. R. Guttman, '78
Email: dsles...@alumni.princeton.edu