From: "Tim Grady" <tgr...@cavtel.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: Blind Computer Users Plextalk Pocket ptp1
version3.0firmwarenowavailable.

What's this crap.  You didn't see me anywhere say it wasn't a better
recorder.  I think I only said that the Stream could already play
unprotected wma, so I didn't think that was anything special about the
Plextalk Pocket.  Really I just wanted to know about the machine and
wondered why something that other machines could do for quite some
time.  Now was special.  If I really wanted to get argumentative and
unpleasant I would have pointed out to him that a lot of people don't
think that  updates to the firmware is as good of a thing as he seems
to think.
On Oct 9, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Sunshine wrote:

> well, compaired to the olympus recorders the stream is horid, in the
> recording aspect.
> but the plextalk pocket far surpasses the recording of any one of the
> olympus recorders.

>>> others.
>>> 7 languages are available currently with Version 3 and other
>>> language
>>> versions will be released accordingly.
>>> For more details, please see the release note.
>>> [Pocket PTP1] Firmware Upgrade: Version 3.00 New Contents Support
>>> Microsoft
>>> Word .doc file support: To read a Microsoft Word .doc file on SD
>>> card or USB
>>> flash memory by the TTS engine. Pocket PTP1 categorizes MS Word .doc
>>> in
>>> 'text'.
> [...]
>>> those sound 'On' or 'Off'
>>> Announce an album/track name of audio content. On 'Reading audio
>>> file name'
>>> of 'Playback
>>> Settings' of the Menu, you can choose the announcing options of
>>> either 'Read
>>> Album/Track Name' or 'Read Album/Track Number'. Pocket PTP1
>>> announces a
>>> folder name where the audio content is stored as the album name, and
>>> a file
>>> name without the file extension as the track name of the audio
>>> content.
>>> Automatic bookmark numbering. If you do not want to determine the
>>> number of
>>> a bookmark you are going to set, just press the Bookmark Key twice
>>> then
>>> press the Enter Key, so Pocket PTP1 will automatically give the
>>> smallest
>>> bookmark number you were not using. If you press the '0' Key and the
>>> Enter
>>> Key after you press the Bookmark Key twice, Pocket PTP1 will also
>>> give you
>>> the smallest number automatically.
>>> Changed the title/folder/category announcements. When you select a
>>> title
>>> after pressing the Title Key, Pocket PTP1 makes simple announcements
>>> than
>>> the previous versions.
>>> And when you want to select a folder by pressing the 'Up' Key
>>> following the
>>> Title Key, Pocket PTP1 announces the folder name.
>>> Play text files more naturally when going to the next line.
>>> Changed the order of the items in 'System Settings' of the Menu.
>>> 'Initialize
>>> all settings to default' has been moved to the last item.
>>> More Powerful Navigation
>>> Added two navigation levels for text playback; 'line' and 'screen'.
>>> 1) Forty
>>> words or 2) less than forty words before a carriage return have been
>>> defined
>>> as a 'line'.
>>> Forty lines has been defined as a 'screen'.
>>> Now you can navigate a text file by screen, paragraph, line,
>>> sentence, word
>>> or character., and a DAISY title by heading (level 1 to 6), group,
>>> page,
>>> phrase, screen, paragraph, line, sentence, word or character if such
>>> items
>>> are defined on the DAISY title.
>>> Added a DAISY-like level navigation feature for html files by
>>> recognizing H1
>>> through
>>> H6 heading levels.
>>> Recording and Playing Feature Enhancement Improved the recording
>>> sound
>>> quality by MP3 for DAISY recording and voice memo.
>>> Added MP3 high-quality modes on 'Back-up' of music CD. After
>>> pressing the
>>> '9' Key to back up a music CD on a CD drive connected to Pocket
>>> 256kbps high-quality' or 'MP3 128kbps high-quality' in addition to