Rick, It seems the DM550, a bit more exspensive than the 520, has adjustable
recording level.  Quite what this means I'm not sure, i.e. it could be in
three or four sensitivity settings, or a continuous control, but not seen the
recorder so don't know.

Worth re-reiterating the Plextor Pocket has meters so you can actually monitor
record level;  doubt the Olypus DM550 can do that, but then no doubt you'd get
acustomed to using it.
Ray

Rick Alfaro wrote:
This seems really impressive for the price and actually capable of
making some high end recordings.  I wonder however if there is a way of
turning off AGC and setting recording levels manually?  There is no
mention of this.

--
--Regards,

   Rick Alfaro