Wow. A lot of good advice on sound cards. When I was looking for a good card
about a year ago, I decided on the creative x-fi stream music. Unfortunately it
was  discontinued at about $60 in the US. and I don't think creative ever came
up with anything as good to take its place. If you have an older PC WITH
WINDOWS 98 OR ME, I have a high end card from turtle beach that's the best I've
ever heard with plenty of mic gain and a separate line in jack not found on
most cards today. You can contact me off list if your interested but for a
newer PC, I think the stream music card would be a good choice if you could
still find it. It does have drivers for windows 7. The settings in it are also
accessible with Jaws if you use that. Take care, Joe.