Hi Don and list: Well..I don't know if I mean "sampling rate" or "bit rate" (I was trying to bring it up to a level where the VIP Conduit chat site's "music player" would play it (it's kind of finicky about what it'll play)..if the (I think this is what I mean)..bit rate is small, it doesn't seem to know how to deal with it..and will just "lock up!" But what you're saying means perfect sense to me (certain programs (sound editors)..work better in different situations. As I stated earlier: I mainly got Total Recorder so I could record different shows..especially works in situations where I'm not going to be here! I recently learned (thanks in part to this list)..learned how to use Total Recorder to change and convert files. But apparently (as Robert pointed out)..when it comes to changing the bit rate (if that's the term)..you have more of a margin to work with in Gold Wave! Tom Kaufman