yep you can make sure that your audio settings show the usb or extra sound card that uses you preamp and microphone and if all else fails test it will skype test call that will allow you to call skype to here if your current audio setting are working.
cheers dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "DJ DOCTOR P" <djdoct...@att.net>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 10:20 PM
Subject: Skype Question

Hello all list members,
I am really thinking about joining the family of Skype users.
I don't know how everyone else has their computer configured for this, but I am still using my old Windows XP machine for this. But my question is, if I had a studio microphone and a preamp, could I use the line in jack of my sound card with Skype? Or, do I need to switch the card from the line in jack to the mike in jack?
Thinks in advance.
 John.