Dean,

I chose a dynamic microphone for my Sony MZ-b100 minidisk recorder a
few years ago.  I wanted an omni directional microphone for my first
purchase.  It has an excellent pick up and robust sound.  I find the
sound from powered microphones to be sharp with edges with the
increases and falls in volume not rising or declining gracefully.
Based on demonstrations from Tim Cummings, I chose an AudioTechnia
microphone.  If you want the specific model number let me know.  I
thought that the recorder on the Plex Talk had a powered amplifier for
microphones.

Kelly