Hi there.  Thanks for such a detailed response.

I have previously recorded onto my laptop, but I'm currently borrowing
someone else's and haven't got room to put Goldwave on there (will do
this when I get a new machine of my own).  However, the CD recorder
does have an advantage in that it doesn't seem to pick up the buzz
which came with copying tapes using the computer (I know this can be
edited out, but it does take additional time and patience).  Also,
older tapes which aren't great quality (such as those which have only
recorded through one speaker etc) still come out fine on a CD
recorder, whereas the signal would come through very quietly or not at
all on my laptop.

The discs I'm using often only have fine scratches but, as you
suggested, they seem to throw the player out completely.  Actually
playing them isn't a problem, but when recording you get a crackling
all the way through certain sections of the disc, making it very
distracting to listen to.

I've got an old Sony minidisc recorder, but it doesn't have a USB
connection facility (being about ten years old), so I don't use it
anymore due to the issue with transferring files.  When recording on
the CD recorder, I rip the disc to the laptop and then
unfinalize/delete it on the recorder before recording again.  My discs
seem to last for 3-4 weeks, but I've recently found that they also
stop recording part of the way through a session before they actually
get scratched and produce the annoying sound which I referred to
earlier.  This, presumably, is something to do with their
unpredictability - I also used to have trouble when recording on both
recordable and re-recordable discs with my old Plextalk PTR1 device
(which I no longer have), but assumed that this was a problem with the
Plextalk and not the discs.  My minidisc recorder does have long play,
so if I could find a way of getting it attached to my laptop through
USB this would be an excellent option, as it would allow me to leave
things recording for longer when I'm out and would remove the
unpredictability issue.  Does anyone have any ideas on this score
please?

Many thanks again, Danny