Go in to the play properties tab with f11. You'll  see each of those buttons
listed as you tab through the options.
Below each button is a list of radio buttons you can select to determine how
that particular button will function. For
example, you can set play button 1 to the "play selected" option, meaning that
every time you use the f2
play button it will play the audio between the start and finish markers. You
could set play button 2,
f3, to the "play unselected"  option, meaning that when you press the f3 play
button you would play
everything outside the start and finish markers.
In previous versions of goldwave there were only two of these configurable play
buttons. Now there are
three. Hope that clarifies it.