Hi!
Since Noise reduction seems to be a topic of interest to a lot of list members
I thought I’d write a small “getting started” guide if you like for those who
want to give Noise Reduction a go. This little guide assumes that you want to
rid the audio you’ve recorded of a constant background noise, suppose you’ve
recorded from radio and you have some background interference from somewhere so
follow these steps and you may be quite surprised at the results you get and
others feel free to comment or add notes as required.
This guide is written with Goldwave in mind though people with the appropriate
knowledge can adapt it to their requirements, for example if they’re using
Sound Forge, Total Recorder etc.
Go into Goldwave and open the file you wish to work with.
Next scan through the file until you find a portion of background noise on its
own, a quarter of a second will do.
Select this portion of audio and copy it to the clipboard, for added security
you may like to paste the copied portion of audio to a new window and you can
work with this to make the sample of background noise longer should you need to.
Now select all of your audio file you’re working on or all of the portion you
want noise removed from.
Go into Goldwaves menu system and select effects, filters and Noise reduction.
>From the drop-down lists of presets select “Envelope from Clipboard” and press
>Okay, processing of the envelope and of the audio will start immediately.
So listen to the result and see what you think. If the audio seems expanded
then repeat the steps above though when you select the preset “Envelope >From
Clipboard” adjust the “Scale” edit box from 100 to 10, this determines by how
much DB Goldwave Should reduce the noise by, press okay and processing of the
noise envelope and the audio file will start.
Obviously a lot of the noise will still be present so repeat the process of
noise reduction again a few more times with the Scale set at 10% each time,
noise will decrease gradually but you’ll end up with a more natural sounding
audio than you did the first time you tried with the scale set at 100%
Have fun!

Dane Trethowan
grtd...@internode.on.net

Mobile:/SMS +614571201