Mary,

For the most part, the newer receivers are pretty much menu driven with some
having dedicated buttons for certain things either on the remote and or the
front panel.  Once you get them set up however, and memorize some of the
more commonly used buttons on the remote, it isn't too bad.  The best
solution for this in my opinion is a good universal remote like one of the
Harmony remotes that can be programmed via the web once connected to your pc
via usb.  The Harmony remotes work in terms of activities, so once it knows
what all of your devices are, you can create activities like watch tv, play
dvd, listen to radio, etc. etc.  Once your activities are created, one
button press sends out all of the signals needed to turn on your device,
switch to the correct input, and also set your TV to the right source if
applicable.  When you are done, another button press turns everything off.

The only inaccessible part of this unfortunately, is adding your devices and
this is something that I have been back and forth with Harmony tech support
and they haven't fixed it.  The screen to add a device has a funky combo box
for selecting the manufacturer that is only workable with a physical mouse.
Bottom line is that you have to call tech support and they are happy to add
devices for you.  Other than that, the rest of the remote programming
process is very accessible.  You have to use FireFox and go to
www.myremotesetup.com and log in.  IE does not work properly for some
reason.

HTH

Rick