Hi Colin.  I don't know how much you use GoldWave and how much you
know about it, but I'm guessing quite a lot based on your in-depth
attention to audio.  I haven't listened to the files, but wonder
whether something like GoldWave's "Maximize Volume" might make the
volume levels a bit more constant.  Alternatively, if you're looking
to separate the speech from the music rather than having them
together, it might just be worth changing the volume (I usually double
it until it's loud enough) so that the speech is at the right volume
for you.  Sorry if you've already thought of or tried these things,
but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Cheers, Danny