hmmm I never thought about studio recorder, thanks a lot I will check it out. I forgot about it and if it's worth the price after the demo I will gladly support aph with all they've done for me over my lifetime. thanks joe.

Dave c. bahr

On 6/25/2011 12:39 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
Dave,

Studio Recorder has a built-in VU meter.  I have that software but have not had time to
work with it.  It appears to do what Goldwave does and more.  Much of it has to do with
recording talkingbooks, but if I understand it right, it can create "tracks"
for cd's.

Studio Recorder can be downloaded in demo mode from

aph.org

If necessary, it could be good to chat about this off list.

Joe G.

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Bahr<dcba...@gmail.com>
To:  pc-audio@pc-audio.org
Date: Saturday, Jun 25, 2011 11:46:56
Subject: auditory vu meter

Hello list,

I am presently working at an archive in upstate NY digitizing some of
their audio. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I could make
a vu meter accessible. It would be nice to have an ability to read
levels in realtime so that I know where to back off the gain later. I am
using goldwave as my main editor since I know it and have used it for
the longest time. I am a window-eyes user, I know jfw has scripts for
sound forge, but I don't know jfw that well at all. There is not an ap
for window-eyes that I am aware of for sound forge. The adobe audition
ap provides basic function, but goldwaves interface seems pretty
accessible compared to others out there like diamond cut 8 which I
couldn't even get to do, wnything.

If there is not a solution to reading levels in realtime on a computer,
what do you recommend for finding peak levels of audio? A sighted person
can just scan the waveform for peaks, and the normalize feature is hit
or miss depending on the software used, the level set by the user, and
the range of frequencies in the recording.

--

so, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know, thank you for your time.
Dave can. bahr