Thanks Steve.
When I get my mac, I'll be in touch with you.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Matzura" <numb...@noisynotes.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: the mac

Forced? OK, the quick answer is no, there's only one set of analog I/O
for just about every Macintosh hardware I've ever laid hands
on--notebook, desktop, they're all the same. What you want is a
separate audio interface, like you suggested. Depending on what
program you'll be using for your audio editing, you have choices, or
limited choices. If you're going to use ProTools, Avid/Digidesign have
opened this program up to virtually anything, or if not virtually
anything, then a whole lot more than ever they used to allow, so check
with your retailer to find out what's supported this week. Just about
every major brand, like M-Audio or MOTU, is probably supported, and
within those two brands alone is a plethora of choices. Can you use
your Zoom H4N as an audio interface, if you have one, which I do not
know? Don't know, but it would surely be interesting to me if you
could, as that would make a very handy dandy external USB sound device
for me. Bottom line is, find out what software you'll be using and
what devices it supports natively or with installable drivers.

HTH