I love the hell outa the Mackie, but I'll tell you, you use up eight
channels in a quickquick hurry! Two for a stereo mic, four for two
synths, two for an external audio feed through the Firewire interface,
and you're done. If I could afford it, I'd've gotten the 1640, but
it's thrice the price. For now, I'm full up, but as long as I don't
need everything at once, I can unplug or patch out some things and
bring in others. It sounds great, does what I want, and I'd recommend
it to anyone looking for a high-quality lasts-forever entry-level
eight-channel board that's portable and lightweight, easy to use, and
flexible within reason.

Regarding your equalizer, well, more bands is always better, but with
my messed-up ears, I've found anything more than five bands is
overkill unless you're in a recording studio with lots of requirements
for frequency-band suppression or amplification for certain instrument
and microphone combinations. Then you can fine-tune almost anything to
resemble almost anything you want, regardless of the mic or instrument
or acoustics or anything.