These are called ID3 tags. One place where you can read up on them is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#Editing_ID3_tags

Usually your CD ripper will connect to a DB and prepopulate your ID3
tags for you. What CD ripper are you using?

Also, media library applications, like Winamp and Windows Media Player
will let you edit your ID3 tags and even make global changes. I know you
can have your music stored in files and folders based on the ID3 tags,
but I'm not sure you can go the other way, such as update your ID3 tags
based on the folders and files where your music is stored. I know they
can use this data to populate empty ID3 tags, so maybe you can do what
you want with one of these applications.

If you're using Windows, you can edit your ID3 tabs through Windows
Explorer. Just use alt+enter to bring up the properties view and
control+tab over to the tab that has your ID3 tags. In addition to
Winamp and Windows Media Player, there are other applications you can
use to make global changes to your ID3 tags. For example, in Ubuntu, I
use a tool called EasyTag.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chalt...@gmail.com