To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:17 PM
Subject: Another GoldWave Question - Problem with File Quality

Hi All.  Thanks so much for your fantastically helpful responses on my
licensing question.  I haven't yet moved to the new laptop, but I'm
having a bit of trouble on the old one.

For the past week I've been editing together a podcast.  I finished it
yesterday and, prior to saving it, everything was fine.  I wasn't
aware of changing anything within the file content after the point at
which I checked it, but when I opened it today to listen to it all the
way through I found that parts of the vocals were distorted and there
was a hiss present which hadn't been there before (not a permanent one
like one which comes from recording, but a temporary one which sounds
a bit like a radio being tuned in or wind blowing around a big house
... but obviously quieter).  With sighted assistance I was able to
observe that there may be some issue with the stereo mix, but I've
tried every possible combination of 0% and 100% on the four channel
options and none of them have brought a perfect result (although a
couple certainly improved it a bit).  I've tried hiss removal etc, and
even some of the equaliser options, but none of them have taken the
file back to what it was before.

Presuming that the intermittent distortion and strange background
noise aren't caused by any changes within the file, I'm wondering what
else might have caused this?  For example, can continually
editing/re-saving a file affect the quality of the output?  I have
done this sort of thing before so don't believe that this is the case
but thought it was worth asking.  My stronger suspicion is that the
lack of speed of my processor (it's a Celeron) may have lead to a poor
quality saving of the file, which would also explain why some parts of
the file are unharmed.  Would this be a likely/possible reason for my
problem?  If there's something which I haven't yet thought of, any
other suggestions would also be appreciated.

As always any help will be very gratefully received, as this work took
me a good length of time to produce and I don't have the original
files so would have to record it all again.

Cheers, Danny