Thanks to all who replied to my query. There was a power outage which lasted
from Wednesday evening till Friday evening. Anyhow, the problem still exists
because whatever the default is, being mono or stereo, I have the same problem.
I think it's a Goldwave glitch. That is when I record something in mono, it
will save automatically in stereo. I have to go to atributes and change the bit
rate myself. Now, same thing. When I changed the default to mono in the options
section, when I record instereo and then save, the recording saves in mono. I
hope this makes sense. I don't think this can be fixed. Thanks to all once
again.