Try Nullsoft CD Plug-in  in preferences, input.  Uncheck Use MusicID.

HTH.

Bob

On 2/9/2013 5:34 PM, Donald L. Roberts wrote:
I may be wrong on the version number, but the version I am using is
quite recent although the answer to my question is  not version specific.

Since the majority of my CDs are home brew compilations, I have no
desire for Winamp to attempt to locate the track info each time a CD is
inserted into the player.  I have looked through Winamp preferences and
also options and thus far have found no way to change the default
behavior.  If someone can point me in the right direction, I would be
most grateful.

Thanks.

Don Roberts