That sort of feature - overighting, inserting or appending has never worried me
as you've never ever been able to do nothing but Overight with a conventional
cassette recorder anyway.

If anyone can stretch their memory back that far <smile> they'll know that you
had a length of tape to record on, you did your recording and if the end of the
tape was reached then you had 2 choices, turn the tape over and record on the
other 2 tracks of the cassette or rewind the tape and overight what you'd
already recorded so the fact that digital recorders start a new file each time
a new recording is started is nothing short of a feature sent from heaven as
you run no risk of wiping what yo've already recorded and the only limit you
have to worry about is just how much room in memory you have, I don't even
think Minidisc recorders offered an "Insert" or "Append" function, it was up to
the user with those recorders to combine or divide tracks where appropriate and
manipulate them thus.

So - given all that - let's see how you can use the present situation to your
advantage.

I use a Zoom H1 and one of the functions of that recorder is marking
"On-The-Fly", if you're recording you can insert a mark into the recording thus
when you load the recording into an editor such as Goldwave or Amadeus Pro you
can go to the markers you've made in your recording.

Each new recording starts a new file so just use your sound editor on your
computer to load where appropriate, make new files with your editor and import
the files from your recorder adding them where necessary, appending where
necessary and inserting where necessary.

As for cheap digital audio recorders? Well I've had my Zoom H1 for 3 years and
its still going strong, simple operation, no menu system and cheap at under
$100.00 though you may like to purchase the accessary pack and I think that
costs around $50.00 extra but well worth it.

On 04/08/2013, at 3:46 AM, Dave Scrimenti <dscri...@icloud.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good-sounding digital recorder that has the simple
> features of a cheap cassette recorder such as overwrite and append? I have an
> Olympus LS7 which makes fine recordings, but every time you hit record, you
> start a new recording. Unbelievably, there's no way to append, overwrite, or
> insert in to an existing recording. The only Olympus models that have these
> obvious and necessary features are on their dictation machines, which
> unfortunately only record in a highly compressed format. I tried the Bookport
> DT, but it was so slow in its responsiveness as to be almost unusable. If
> they improve the processing power, it would be great.
> pc-audio-unsubscr...@pc-audio.org

Dane Trethowan
Skype: grtdane12
Phone US (213) 438-9741