There's no doubt that M4A/AAC does sound better than MP3 if converting from a
lossless format first.

If the subject line is a true reflection of the discussion then the conversion
will actually end up in quality loss thus the resulting M4A/AAC files produced
will sound a little worse than the original MP3 files did.