Gary,

The Apple TV must be plugged into an HDMI input.  If your cable box lets you
switch between inputs as a few do,
this should work.  Still, you have to be more specific if our answers are going
to mean anything.  How is your
cable box connected to your TV?  Does your cable box have an HDMI input as well
as an HDMI output?  Does your TV
have multiple HDMI inputs assuming that one is being used by your cable box?
If you are not sure of all this, you
will need to get someone who is familiar with these kinds of connections to
give you a hand.  There are other
variables as well, just too many to guess at.  Cable boxes can generally be
connected to a TV by HDMI, other
analog cables, or using an RF coaxial cable putting its signal on a TV chanel,
but this last is not generally used
on newer TV's.  Some cable boxes have the ability to add extra inputs, usually
for games, and an apple TV could be
plugged into such an input if it is an HDMI input.  TV's themselves often have
more than one input, often to
accommodate a DVD player, or games, etc.  an Apple TV could go there as well if
the input is an HDMI input.  If a
TV is not an HD TV and if it doesn't have HDMI inputs, one can buy converters
as mentioned before that will allow
an Apple TV to be plugged into older style inputs.  To figure this out, though,
one has to have an idea of how it
needs to be approached and what is available on a particular TV and Cable box.
It is really very similar to
figuring out how you would connect another input device such as a VCR or video
game except that the Apple TV only
has an HDMI output for audio and video.  There is another Optical audio input
that could be used to connect to an
audio system, but that's separate from the cable box issue.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson