I just got mine as well and its seems quite nice -- my environment is
not great -- two computers running, but the radio does very well in the
short wave and fm bands and the am is not bad at all.  I was unable to
activate  some of the hidden features,  however -- holding down the 9
key had no effect whatsoever.

One nice feature is if you are using ssb the band controls cycle through
the ham bands, if you switch to normal the band selector cycles through
the broadcast ones.

Dane Trethowan <grtd...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> I've had the radio for 8 hours and I'm utterly delighted with my purchase,
> here are a few observations I've made about the radio.
>
> Firstly this set is not a "killer" set when it comes to Medium wave
> sensitivity though its far from dreadful so if you're looking for a good
> performing AM set and not bothered with Short Wave, SSB and CW then your
> money would be perhaps better spent on the CCrane 2E AM/FM radio.  The Pl880
> is squarely aimed at the traveller and AM reception through this radio should
> be good enough in 99% of cases but its on the Short Wave, SSB/CW and on FM
> that this receiver shines.
>
> Having said all that however the audio quality on the AM broadcast band is
> far better than a lot of similar sized portables on the market thanks to the
> selectible Band width filter which can be adjusted between 2.4 and 9KHZ thus
> giving superb quality for audio on AM stations which permit it - most in
> Australia do <smile>.
>
> Short Wave reception his hot on the built-in telescopic whip which is
> reasonably long and very thin at the top end so be careful with it.
>
> The PL880 charges from a USB socket and takes around 3 hours to charge the
> lythium-ion battery.
>
> Sound from the internal speaker is something which puts similar portable
> radios of the same size to absolute shame, in particular the Sony ICF-sw7600G
> and GR sets sound like paper compared to the PL880.
>
> 2 tuning knobs are presented, one for fast and one for slow tuning, they have
> a nice thick smooth feel to them, just like tuning an older 60s style
> analogue radio.
>
> More notes to come as I play and explore.
>

> **********
>
> Dane Trethowan
> Skype: grtdane12
> Phone US (213) 438-9741