Maybe the Melbourne station used SeQuam like the system that was adopted in the states. Stereo separation was pretty decent and most of the big gun radio stations in Pittsburgh broadcast in stereo 24 7. by the late 90's stereo AM went buy the wayside like HD AM is pretty much done around here now. If KDKA can't make a go or looses interest in the newest form of transmission, the others follow suit.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2014 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: Stereo AM

I think I know the Sony Walkman Stereo AM Walkman you're referring to, its easily identifiable by the very large band switch on the face of the radio, I used to call that Walkman the "Biscuit Radio" as the band switch reminded me of a chocolate biscuit/cookie <smile>.

The radio was okay though I thought the smaller Sangean Pocket model had the edge, far better sensitivity to start with though - knowing Sangean as I do - that's not at all surprising.

I have a couple of Sony AM Stereo tuners though they had to be adjusted to get decent clarity out of them, they also exhibited an annoying trait, you could hear the 25HZ tone which tells the tuner that the signal is an AM Stereo signal.

The other capable Stereo AM tuner I have here is one that I had built for me from the information supplied in the electronics magazine Silicon Chip back in 1987.

What I like about Stereo AM is that it can be broadcast at any time and - if its done properly - the average consumer will not notice any interference or odd sound from their standard Mono AM radio, some of the AM Stereo signals I used to listen to did exhibit slight bass distortion on a Mono set but these signals usually sounded pretty poor when listening on an AM Stereo tuner.

The Melbourne radio station 3UZ had by far the best Stereo AM sound I've ever heard - along with Canberra's 2CA -, I don't know what they were using on their transmitter but even the mono signal sounded clean and crisp.