It sounds like you're not able to contact the free db server for some reason. in the cddb menu of CDEX, there's another option that says read from music brains, which is an alternative database that should have similar info. I do believe this is 99 percent of the problem though, for some reason the connection just can't be made to the freedb servers which has your cd's track titles.
i hope this helps somewhat?