At the end of this informative post, Dane wrote: "Now I’m not writing this post as an advertisement for Mac Mini machines as I’m sure similar can be accomplished with Windows PC’s, I’m writing this because I’m amazed at just how far we’ve come, encoding and creating of MP3 files used to take hours if not many minutes not all that long ago." You mean you boldly say that you are not writing this as an advertisement? I must admit, you have been a bit better about helping people out, on this list, of late, but, come on, Dane, you cannot , in print, say that you are not writing as advertisements; really ?? -----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:18 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Mac Mini Update

Hi!

I’ve had my new Mac Mini for about a month now and thought I’d share some observations with you.

The Mac Mini is fast turning into my main computer of choice because of its speed and power, here’s an example which I think illustrates the point rather well.

I’m testing a Mp3 player, I deleted all my Mp3 collection a few weeks back so I needed to create or download some more, given I have a good FLAC collection it made sense I guess to convert some of those, I started with the Beatles Singles collection 4 CD set from 1962-1970 which contains more than 40 tracks.

Conversion was over in around 30 seconds and I was using the highest settings with the LAME MP3 encoder to get the best I could out of it, on my Windows desktop and other machines such a conversion task would have taken around 20 minutes or even longer.

I spoke to someone about this and he reckoned it would have only taken 5 seconds or so with his Mac Pro machine and so it ought to given that his machine contains 8 quad core i7 processors <smile>, mine only contains one but I think the major contributing factor here is the Fusion Drive that my Mac Mini uses, put simply a fusion drive is a 1TB standard hard drive with a 128GB SSD drive incorporated into the design, when idle the operating system decides what resides on the SSD and what doesn’t based on the most accessed files, most run applications and so on.

Now I’m not writing this post as an advertisement for Mac Mini machines as I’m sure similar can be accomplished with Windows PC’s, I’m writing this because I’m amazed at just how far we’ve come, encoding and creating of MP3 files used to take hours if not many minutes not all that long ago.

**********

Dane Trethowan
grtd...@internode.on.net
Skype: grtdane12