From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Walter
Ramage
Sent: 24 November 2014 20:27
To: 'PC Audio Discussion List'
Subject: The difference a subwoofer can make

Hi folks.  I've been auditioning at home the B & W PV1d subwoofer.  Most
people will assume that subwoofers are all about bass and nothing else.
Maybe I should describe my set up before going on.  My Source is a custom
built tower PC.  I'm using an Arcam R-pack DAC with a Chord USB interconnect
going from the PC to the Dac.  The Phonos going from the Dac to the
amplifier which is an Arcam Solo Neo are Chord Chameleon interconnects.  My
Speaker cable is also Chord cables and the Speakers are the B & W CM5s plus
the B & W PV1D subwoofer.  OK, Before installing the subwoofer the sound
from my system was very good indeed but since the use of the PV1 there has
been a profound difference.  The CM5s are extremely effective despite being
stand mount and their bass response is very good also.  However, with the
PV1 the sound has a completely different quality and the sound stage has
changed out of all recognition.  It is a very warm and solid sound and very
large.  Bass is deep but very well controlled.  On Saturday evening I was
sitting listening to a few tracks and was playing at a reasonably high level
but it sounded powerful but not "loud."  The thing though that really caught
my attention was how wide and high the sound was, it filled the whole wall,
in fact it appeared the sound was larger than the room I was in and in
truth, although I have good spacial awareness I was unsure where the
speakers were placed as the sound was very much forward of the speakers and
had great depth.  I could tell the vocalist was right in front of me but the
drums were behind him and other instruments could be placed accurately.  It
is very hard to describe to others what I heard but for those of you who
have or have had some site, it is kinda like sitting down in front of a 42
inch TV but when you turn it on, the picture looks like a 65 inch screen.
The subwoofer has filled out a great more than just an improved bass line
but the whole picture has been dramatically altered.  When I listen to a
radio drama it almost sounds as if the actors are giving me a private show
and are acting out right in front of me.  I've got to say, I'm mightily
impressed with this sub and for those who can afford a good sub, I would
heartily recommend it.

There is one fly in the ointment though; The sub being digital has a number
of settings one can adjust to suit your needs whether it be to match a
different set of speakers, if it is for music listening or movie or gaming
etc, these settings are not accessible to the blind.  However when they are
set they are fixed until you wish to change them and even if you turn off
the sub and turn it back on, these settings remain.  The off and on switch
is also digital so you don't really know it is on or off, unless you can
hear it but it automatically senses the lack of a signal and turns itself
off.  It also has an auto switch off facility which I have set to 30 minutes
so when I go to bed and turn the amp off, if after 30 minutes it doesn't
sense a signal it switches off and switches on again when you turn on the
amp in the morning.  There is a "on the fly" volume control but again, it is
digital and not accessible but there is a work around.  I'm so impressed
that I will most likely buy a PV1 provided the dealer can get me a good
price which he says he can but even if he couldn't, I'd still get one as I'm
so truly impressed.  I'm sitting here almost giggling  at my confusion when
I was listening, I heard sounds from about 3 or 4 feet to the left and right
of where my speakers are placed but there is a cupboard on one side and a
wall on the other and my brain was telling me, it isn't possible because
there is a cupboard there and a wall over there, but my ears are saying, it
doesn't matter, we are hearing it come from that location, a bit of most
enjoyable confusion.  I thought I would give you all the benefit of what
I've experienced here  Oh!! one final thought, it makes mp3 files sound so
very good despite the compression.  Walter.

---
protection is active.