From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: 27 March 2015 00:05
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: SACD'S

Hi!

Been a good while since I've sat down and had a listen to my small collection
of Super Audio CD'S, I had an old Pioneer DVD Player which handled them however
that player is not compatible with any of the newer equipment I own so SACD'S
had to wait until I could afford to buy a compatible player.

The compatible player arrived in the form of a Denon Blu-Ray player about 3
weeks ago ,time to take some time out from the grind, put my feet up and listen
again.

There's no doubt about it in my view, the upgraded player for SACD'S was
certainly worth the while given that each channel of the audio is now digitally
delivered to the Denon Surround-Sound receiver, each channel being delivered
via its own speaker rather than having to rely on processing to do the same
job, the old Pioneer player would also deliver the channels to each speaker but
in an Analogue mode and you can certainly pick the difference.

The Pioneer player connected to a multi channel amp or Surround-Sound receiver
by the use of multiple VCA connecting cords, one lead for each channel and the
connection couldn't be done digitally even though the Pioneer had a Digital out
connection - two in fact - they would allow the streaming of standard Audio or
Surround-Sound audio and not from SACD.

The Denon player on the other hand is completely digital for everything, one
HDMI connection handles up to 8 channels of audio, HD 4K video - if available -
and all the other controlling stuff that HDMI is capable of, certainly makes
life one hell of a lot easier connecting HDMI devices rather than doing things
the traditional way with RCA and other cords.

I guess you're all wondering, what's the use of me getting SACD'S if I can only
play them on a compatible player? That's true if you want to enjoy the multi
channel benefits of SACD however a SACD will play in standard stereo mode quite
happily in a standard CD Player.

Time to get back to my Jeff Waynes Super Audio CD Version of War Of The worlds,
the classic double album from 1978.

--

Those who need help are those who are prepared to help themselves