Greetings,

First of all, have you enabled the scrub feature for this is not enabled by
default?

To set this, press f11 you are now in the play properties sheet.

Tab past the settings for winding back and forward, you are then in an edit
box which, by default, has the value 0.000, I changed this to 0.150 which
means whenever I move an arrow or marker, I play fifteen hundreths of a
second's worth of sound.  This makes editting much much much faster but
there is a definite nack to using in this way.

Assuming you have set your zoom rate to something sensible, such as one
second's worth of sound on the screen (shift with the number 2 on the qwerty
keyboard achieves this) movement of arrow / markers will give you an easy
way to place the left or right markers exactly where you need them.

Now, to find where you want the edit.

If you know roughly where it begins, say at 5:25 into the file, using the
shift e enter the time in the start marker position press enter.

Now play the file which if you have your play set will start from the start
marker, when you reach the actual place, press left bracket the marker is
then set.

If you need to move it slightly, you can do so using shift and left-right
arrow, you will hear sound as you move the arrow i.e marker.  When happy,
attend in much the same way for the end marker, you can play, or jump
through the file until you reach the place where the edit is to end, press
right bracket, i.e the second key to the right of the letter p, and then
fine tune by using the control-shift and left-right arrow.

I have my three play cuttons set as follows:

Play1 (f2) set to play all

Play 2 (f3) set to play selection

Play 3 (f4) set to play view

therefore, to play what is between the markers, play2 to play what is on the
screen play 3,  to play file from start play 1.

If happy, press delete, piece gone, play 2 should give silence.

Remember control z can undo either to your system maximum, or until you
reach last saved file, or until you reach the amount set.  I have mine set
to fifteen I suspect the maximum varies but on my system it is twenty.

Remember, for each undo, you are left with markers set as at execution of
the function you are reversing.

Hope these are of help, currently, I am still using V5.70 on a Windows7
desktop upstairs and a WindowsXp Home laptop downstairs but I have been
using GoldWave for the last eight years, ever since V5.12.