I agree 100% with you on the Olympus models. I have several; they substantially
changed the way the Olympus recorders are laid out after the Dm-520. Poor
ergonomic design and keyboard layout for the 620; don’t have a DM-7.

From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:43 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: Zoom H6 Handy Recorder with Interchangeable Microphone System H6

I always though the issue of pausing with the Zoom H1 to be people making a
mountain out of a molehill, I got round this by remember two things that the
Zoom H1 did.

Firstly when recording, if you pressed the “Record” button again the recorder
would effectively pause if you like, meaning the recorder would go into
“Standby” mode awaiting a further button press so therefore if you pressed the
“Record” button again the recording would resume though to a new file, not a
big deal in my opinion given one could easily deal with multiple files in a
Sound editor, I do have a computer do I not? <smile>.

The other way of handling the problem is to insert marks into the file
therefore defining sections, this can be done by pressing the “Play” button at
the appropriate time where you wish to insert a mark, you might insert a mark
at the beginning of each paragraph you’re reading aloud or when the sound of a
door opening happens etc.

The marks are recognised by Audio Editing software such as Sound Forge and
Amadeus Pro.

Yep, I like the Olympus Recorders but I do feel that the speech is a bit of a
conflict, I appreciate the efforts Olympus have made by including the speech
but in some ways its a little unintuitive given that it can take a little while
to find what you want in the menu system, set up the actions to perform and so
on.

Regardless of that I do appreciate that the speech system may make a difference
to some people and my only advice to Olympus is to cut down on those features
that are just add-ons for want of a better description, things like Daisy
playback and so forth, stop worrying about those things and concentrate on the
accessibility of the recorders themselves.

I love the DM4 though not very in love with the DM7 for some reason though I’m
in no doubt that it too is a damn good product, I think its the way the DM7
does things that has me a little annoyed with it.

database 12427 (20151018) __________

http://www.eset.com