Greetings,

GoldWave V5.70, I've just been playing and discover the following.

If you open the file, don't play or do anything with or to it, but simply do
ctrl-g.  You are now in an edit box which, as you've not played the file
will contain the value 0:00:00.0000 so now, assume you want to go 10 minutes
and 25 seconds into the file, simply replace by overtyping 10:25. If you
then put your start marker here, start playing and this is where it begins.
If you also wanted to end the segment, say, at 15 minutes 45 seconds, no
need to play the file, simply do ctrl-g, it should display the value you
entered earlier, i.e 10:25, don't move the cursor but simply type in 15:45,
press return and put your finish marker.  If you now play the selection by
using one of the three play keys, you should start at the start marker and
finish at the finish marker.  If you use the k key, it also will start at
the start marker but will play past the finish marker.

I have my three play buttons set as follows:

Play1 (f2) is set to play all, i.e from start to end of file.

Play2 (f3) is set to play selection, i.e whatever is between the start and
finish markers.

Play3 (f4) is set to play view,  i.e whatever is showing on the screen this
is determined by my zoom ratio, I usually only have one second's worth of
the fjile on the screen but, of course, this can be less or more.

I find these settings ideal all the time.

Don't forget also, to set the scrub value, this is an edit field found after
the wind speed settings in the play tab.  By default (certainly until this
version of GoldWave) it is set to 0.000 but I set mine to 0.150, meaning
whenever I move a marker or arrow key, I hear 0.15 seconds' worth of any
recording, this I find invaluable but there is a definite nack to making use
of the feature.  Sometimes, when moving markers, you may hear more than you
need to delete, therefore, then, play the selection to find out exactly what
is between the markers.  A case in point, is, when you might need to remove
a mouth click, usually only about .0002 of a second.

I hope these comments are of some help - I have been a GoldWave user now for
over 8 years and have been involved with sound processing eversince the days
of razor blades and reel-to-reel tapes!