Well, she tells me that when she uses a wireless mic, there's hardly no hum at all. However, when she uses one of those USB headsets with a microphone and a cord on the end, the hum is a lot louder. That's why I wasn't sure if had something to do with the sound card or if it was electrical? I hope that made sense.

On 2/26/2016 12:13 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Ah that right there tells you it's something electrical. When she uses it
without AC power it's fine. Now who knows maybe it is a ground issue. What kind
of mike is she using? Could it be over censitivity of this mike?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Chris
Skarstad
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 11:32 AM
To: pc-audio@pc-audio.org
Subject: possibly a sound card issue, not sure?

Hey folks

A while ago, someone was talking about a possible sound card issue, and my
girlfriend who is not on this list is having one and she's asked me to quiz the
gurus.  Basicly, what's happening is whenever she records something or
broadcasts on the internet, you can hear what appears to be a loud humming
sound, probably a ground hum. She's using a windows 7 64-bit laptop, it's a
Toshiba satellite of some kind, we're  not sure
about the exact model number.  Does anyone know     what might be
causing the issue, and better yet how to eliminate it?   Is this an
actual sound card issue, or is it something electrical, like how it's plugged
in? It's plugged into a power strip so i'm not sure if that's it
or not.   Keep in mind that i'm not an expert in all things electrical
so i'm not gonna be able to do anything really advanced.  I've heard this
happen on other laptops, when it's plugged in you hear the hum.
When they unplug it, it goes away. It wouldn't be practical for her to use it
on batteries all the time, so we would need to find a way to eliminate the
issue.  Does anyone know what we can do?
Thanks!
Chris