Speaking of sound cards, has anyone tried the sound cards by Turtle Beach of late? Back when I was using a laptop, I used a turtle beach audio advantage SRM and it worked quite nicely. When I got my pc I really didn't have much need for it since the internal card did everything I need so I didn't use it much after that. Do they still make good sound cards these days? if so I may consider one for my next pc.

On 3/3/2016 4:52 PM, Joe Paton wrote:
yes.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:24:48 +0000
goshawk on horseback <goshawk_on_horseb...@fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

I do the USB card for audio and onboard card for the screen reader thing,
and it has served me very well, especially when playing different audio
things through the USB card for example. as if a bit of audio I am playing
is very loud, I don't get any issues with not being able to hear my
screenreader over the loud audio, as all I do is either back the volume of
the USB card off, or boost that of the onboard card. because I use a mixer
desk, I can do this very easily.

Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Paton" <j...@vi-ability.demon.co.uk>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2016 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: Possible Recommendations for a good USB sound card please

Hi Larry,

On this dell optiplex, there is a default sound card, which is a real tek..

Now here's the interesting thing.

The windows mixer, offers limited access to all the controls on the card.
Further, these controls can be accessed, using an app called "dell audio."
This opens up all the card's controls.  It is not accessible by three screen
readers, but I suspect that screen mignification users may have a little
more opportunity.

Next, the version of drivers, either provided by Dell, or Real Tek.  Certain
drivers, do nott offer the range of controls in the default installation,
but
also these drivers leave the card in a flatter audio state, with no extra
audio
effects turned on.

So what I am thinking, is, that it might be possible to turn off the effects
that you don't want, either by the driver file itself, or, access to the
control pannel installed by the computer manufacturer.  I used dell in my
example.

Next you could argue, hell, why waiste my time.  You could use the default
card
for screen reader, then a second card for your audio.  I made the asumption
that you want to do more than just replay high quality audio.  So in either
case
Larry, creative audigie do a usb card, with controls onboard.  I tended to
think of a PCI audigie card, forgetting about the usb offerings.

good luck, and good listening.

Joe

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 09:36:21 -0600