Lee, Jarrett wrote:
How does PCA handle multiple clients checking in with the local patch server
simultaneously? What if two servers ask for the same patch before the patch
downloads completely? Does it have a mechanism that knows the original
request to download the patch has not yet completed?

That's no problem, PCA takes care of that. When a client asks for a patch which is currently being downloaded due to some other request, PCA will complete the download and then deliver the patch to both clients. This seems to be pretty robust, I can't remember any recent problem reports about such issues.

We plan to have a few hundred servers downloading patches at one time. Will
this be fine? Anybody else already doing this?

I don't have hundreds of clients, but I've heard from others that have. So this should be fine. If you do experience any trouble, let me know. Even more, tell us when you have your setup running and working - success stories are always welcome :)

If you want to spread the load to multiple servers, you might be interested to hear that you can even build a cascade of pca proxies - just point one proxy at another by setting xrefurl/patchurl on a secondary proxy to the primary proxy.

hth,
Martin.