From: Pce [mailto:pce-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Farrel
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:43 AM
To: pce@ietf.org
Cc: pce-cha...@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [Pce] Preaching about code points in drafts

PCE working group,

draft-ietf-pce-rfc7150bis is fixing a clash between an IANA allocation for RFC
7150 and an unallocated code point documented in a working group Internet-Draft
that had been picked up and used by multiple implementations.

Another clash has just been pointed out to me between RFC 7150 and
draft-ietf-pce-gmpls-pcep-extensions.

The specifying of unallocated values in PCE I-Ds has got to stop before
significant clashes happen in the field. Cease! Desist! It is not necessary, and
there is a simple solution to get code points if you need them.

Steps to be followed:

1. Identify all I-Ds that state or recommend values for code points (see below).

2. Decide whether the values shown are needed to support existing
implementations.
2a. If so, make an immediate request to the WG chairs for early allocation of
the code points using the procedures of RFC 7120.
2b. If not, make an immediate revision of the I-D removing the specific code
point values.

3. In the future, when implementations of an I-D become advanced enough to be
close shipping or starting interop testing, use RFC 7120 to get code points
allocated.

4. Do not adopt any I-D as a working group draft if it specifies code points.

Current drafts

draft-ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp specifies unallocated values
draft-ietf-pce-pcep-stateful-pce-gmpls suggests values
draft-ietf-pce-remote-initiated-gmpls-lsp specifies an unallocated value
draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce suggests multiple unallocated values
draft-ietf-pce-stateful-sync-optimizations specifies and suggests multiple
unallocated values

Recently-expired drafts

draft-ietf-pce-gmpls-pcep-extensions specifies multiple unallocated values
draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-ext recommends multiple unallocated values

Thanks,
Adrian