Hi Adrian,

We have posted a new update handling the comments from you and Haomian.

I-D: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-lsp-control-request/

Diff: https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pce-lsp-control-request-05

Snipping to

---
Section 4

  If the LSP(s) is/are already delegated to the PCE making the request, the PCC
ignores the C Flag.
Doesn't this over-complicate things? Why not have the PCE always respond with D
set or clear depending on whether it wants to have delegated? That way, a PCE
that drops context (i.e., does it have control or not?) is able to regain
context.

Or are you trying to prevent a thrash where...
PCE    ---> C flag
D flag <--- PCC
PCE    ---> D flag and C flag
D flag <--- PCC
PCE    ---> D flag and C flag etc.

I see you don't give the PCE advice about not setting the C flag for LSP, it
already has delegate control over. That would lead to...

PCE    ---> C flag
D flag <--- PCC
PCE    ---> D flag

--
First, we rephrased this for clarity -

  The PCE SHOULD
  NOT send control request for LSP which is already delegated to the
  PCE, i.e. if the D flag is set in the PCUpd message, then C flag
  SHOULD NOT be set. If a PCC receives a PCUpd message with D flag set
  in the LSP object (i.e. LSP is already delegated) and the C flag is
  also set (i.e. PCE is making a control request), the PCC MUST ignore
  the C Flag.

Second, for a delegated LSP, PCE always sends PCUpd with the D flag set unless
it wants revocation of the delegation. Both D and C flag in PCUpd message
should not be set together. We wanted to have a new flag to independently
indicate 'LSP control request' and not overload the existing flag.

---
Section 4
  It should be noted that a legacy implementation of PCC, that does not
  understand the C flag in PCUpd message, would simply ignore the flag (and the
request to grant control over the LSP). At the same time it would trigger the
error condition as specified in [RFC8231] (a PCErr with Error-type=19 (Invalid
Operation) and error-value 1 (Attempted LSP Update Request for a non-delegated
LSP)).

  I looked through 8231 and 8281 and I don't find a discussion of handling
unknown flags. What is missing in 7.2 of 8231 is "Unassigned flags MUST be set
to zero on transmission, and unknown flags MUST be ignored on receipt." I think
that without that addition to 8231, your text doesn't work.

---
We rephrased this to say -

  It should be noted that a legacy implementation of PCC, that does not
  support this extension would trigger the error condition as specified
  in [RFC8231] (a PCErr with Error-type=19 (Invalid Operation) and
  error-value 1 (Attempted LSP Update Request for a non-delegated LSP))
  as the D flag would be unset in this update request. Further, in
  case of PLSP-ID of 0, the error condition as specified in [RFC8231]
  (a PCErr with Error-type=19 (Invalid Operation) and error-value 3
  (Attempted LSP Update Request for an LSP identified by an unknown
  PSP-ID)) would be triggered.

So this I-D can be progressed independently, while the WG decides how to handle
the missing statement in RFC 8231.

Thanks for your review,
Mahendra

Mahendra Singh Negi Mahendra
Mobile: +91-7204000290<tel:+91-7204000290>
Email: mahendrasi...@huawei.com<mailto:mahendrasi...@huawei.com>